CBR-PROGRAMME FOR RURAL DISABLED PEOPLES
Community-based rehabilitation (CBR) focuses on enhancing the standard of living for people with disabilities and their families; meeting basic needs; and ensuring inclusion and participation. It is a multi-sectoral strategy that empowers persons with disabilities to access and crop from education, employment, health and social services. CBR is implemented through the combined efforts of people with disabilities, their families, communities, relevant government and non-governmental organizations.
The program for the Empowerment of the Disabled had been supported by CARITAS, through CBR Forum, Bengaluru for the third consecutive year. During 2014-15, IWDI had successfully implemented the program initiatives and was able to bring in commendable changes in the lives of the Disabled in Gummudipoondi block, Tiruvallur District.
The project envisages the five thematic areas namely Health, Education, Livelihood, Social and Empowerment. The Major achievements of the programme are as follows
- 664 Peoples with Disabilities were identified by the project staff team.
- 40 village level Disability Peoples organization (VDPO)formed comprising 232 members.
- The project being implemented in 69 villages of 20 Panchayats of Gummudipoondi.
- One Block level Disabled Peoples organization formed and effectively functioning named SANGAMAM.
- BDPO affiliated to the Thiruvallur District level federation of peoples with disabilities named “VASANTHAM“
- Series of Capacity building programmes conducted to Motivate the PwDs to take care of the project activities.
- 50 teachers from Primary and middle schools got trained in Teaching and learning materials training conducted by the project.
- 254 members trained in various skill trainings by the project.
- 100 % of eligible members availed the aids and appliances from the government departments and other likeminded NGOs.
- 12 Children’s Clubs formed in the school level for promoting the Inclusive Education.